Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Finally, my career is here!

Sorry I haven't been able to write the past three days! I actually have been really busy teaching at school. The first three days have been going really great! I am learning all of their names slowly but surely and just trying to observe how each student acts in class, their strengths, weaknesses, and trying to think of new ways to teach them the skills they may be lacking.


Thankfully at my school they give each student their own english name that they go by when they are here, usually something similar to the students Korean name, but sometimes just a name that the student prefers to be called. Really neat to see the names they are given, and hoping to one day get the chance to name one!! I am sure I have a few names I could think of depending on their character and personality.


The school is set up a little bit differently than the states. I dont have my own classroom, however do have my own desk and share a computer with an afternoon teacher, which is great! each day I see about 5-6 different classes. The mornings are simply Kinderargten A (3-4 yrs. US age) called Sprout, and then (5-6 yrs. US) kindergarten class called Fruit. Then, in the afternoon I have my intermediate classes which range for me from 1.2 meaning First Grade Unit Two to 1.4. The curriculum we use it mostly curriculum used in the states as well but teachers have to share teacher books although students all carry their own book each day and are allowed to write in each book that they have. Although a bit confusing because I will only see my students 2 or 3 days a week and the other teacher sees them the other days; meaning we hve to really work together and try to really stick to the monthly schedule put out for each month for each class.


Really enjoying teaching and know that this experience will make teaching in the states a breeze! Not only am I having to incorporate my own activities into the story and grammar lessons but also having to come up multiple ways to even say what I want to say until they understand what I am saying. What I find to be extremely facinating to watch is when one student in the class understand what I am saying and then immediately gets excited and tells the rest of the class in Korean what I mean. What an awesome sight!!


Still missing home, but finding that with teaching I am able to fly through each weekday with skyping, going to work, eating dinner, and exercising. Hoping to start some 6 am runs next week after Ashley is gone since i hate having to wake her up at 7am, let alone 6! I am hoping I can get up on training to complete the Mandarine Half Marathon here in November.


Hoping to get some pictures up soon of the school, but until then my stories will have to surpass! Miss everyone back home and you don't understand the excitment I receive when I find an email or letter in my mailbox.

For those of you who have the time and would like to drop me an email or mail:


Amanda Randolph
2-224 Marchen House
722-2 Nohyong Dong
Jeju-si, Jeju-do, South Korea

1 comment: